SCWA is temporarily suspending our Water Efficient Landscape Rebate Program until further notice. We will not be accepting any new rebate applications until the Shelter at Home Health Order is lifted.
The Solano County Water Agency is offering water customers an incentive to replace your lawn with water-efficient landscaping and receive $1.00 per square foot, up to $1000 maximum. Please read the 2020-2021 Terms and Conditions before you remove your lawn.
The Solano County Water Agency (SCWA) is offering the Water-Efficient Landscape Rebate Program to water customers who install sustainable water efficient landscaping* that meets Bay-Friendly Landscape Guidelines. This program has two primary goals: 1) Promote landscape water use efficiency and 2) Support the installation of healthy sustainable landscapes that will promote healthy soils and support our local environment and watersheds by providing habitat for local fauna, decreasing harmful runoff, and reducing water usage.
*Sustainable water efficient landscaping is defined as environmentally beneficial landscaping that reduces water demand, supports the use of native or non-invasive plants, promotes biodiversity by providing habitat for native fauna, and requires minimal resource inputs, such as fertilizer, pesticides, gasoline, time, and water. Sustainable landscaping is about reducing waste, energy and materials. The use of artificial turf or lawn does not meet these criteria.
Applicants may be eligible for a rebate of $1.00 per square foot (sqft) when converting their lawn to a sustainable watershed appropriate landscape. The maximum rebate is $1,000 per eligible residential water service site ($5,000 maximum for Commercial, Industrial, Institutional (CII) sites). Offer is limited to one (1) Water Efficient Landscape Rebate per site. Funding will be provided on a first-come, first-served basis.
Rebates are subject to availability of funds and at no point in time are guaranteed. SCWA reserves the right to terminate this program at any time.
- The program is available to residential and CII customers who purchase water from a participating SCWA Member Agency. The water service account must have been active for at least twelve months.
- A minimum of 300 square feet of lawn must be converted in order to participate in the program. New construction does not qualify for the rebate program.
- Rebate applicants must agree to brief pre and post inspection site visits by SCWA staff in order to qualify for the program rebate.
- Lawn areas proposed to be converted must be currently maintained. Brown lawns due to drought-related watering reductions will also be accepted. However, dirt areas that show no signs of the presence of a lawn are not eligible for a rebate. Each rebate application will be handled on a case by case basis.
- This program is NOT retroactive; projects in progress or projects already completed prior to a pre-inspection are not eligible.
- Tenants/Renters: If applicant is not the property owner, written consent from the property owner must be provided to SCWA staff at the pre-inspection visit.
- During the post-inspection, if the project fails to meet the Landscape Requirements for Converted Area listed in the Terms and Conditions, applicant will be given 30 days (thirty days) to bring the project into compliance. Failure to meet this thirty day extension will result in cancellation of the application and funds made available to future applicants.
- Rebate Offer
- $1.00 per square foot of landscape converted, with a maximum of $1,000.00 per site for Single-Family Residences (equivalent to 1,000 square feet). The maximum rebate amount per site for CII accounts is $5,000.00 (5,000 square feet).
- Applicants will be accepted on a first-come first-serve basis until all funds have been reserved.
- Projects must be completed within 120 days (four months) of the date on the Notice to Proceed. Applicants must contact SCWA if the project cannot be completed in this time frame to discuss alternative options.
- Receipts are not required to be submitted but should be retained for tax purposes. SCWA reserves the right to audit receipts for any materials used in the conversion. SCWA requests a W-9 IRS form from every applicant that completes the project with a rebate over $600.00.
- Following the post-inspection visit and final approval of the application, SCWA will issue a rebate check to the eligible applicant. Please allow 6-8 weeks for the rebate check to be processed.
- Rebates are reserved and paid on a first-come first-serve bases and are only available until funds are depleted. At no point in time is rebate guaranteed.
- Offer is limited to one (1) Water Efficient Landscape Rebate per site, residential and CII.
- Landscape Requirements for Converted Area
- Plants- must be drought tolerant, non-invasive, and adapted to our climate. Helpful resources for water-wise plant selection are available at SCWA’S Water-Wise Gardening website (http://www.solano.watersavingplants.com). Only plants classified in the water use classification of Landscape Species database (www.ucanr.edu/sites/WUCOLS/) as very low (VL), low (L), or moderate (M) water-use species are permitted. Plants classified as high (H) or those listed as needing “Regular Water” or “Ample Water” in the Sunset Western Garden Book are not permitted. The converted area must include sufficient number of plants to ensure at least 50% of the area is covered when the plants are fully grown. Installation of any fescue is ineligible of a rebate.
- Ground Cover- All planting areas must have a minimum of three (3) inches of mulch or another permeable organic material (i.e. bark, wood chips, rock, peat gravel, decomposed granite, etc.).
- Landscape Materials- must be permeable. Concrete, plastic sheeting or other impermeable surfaces are not allowed as part of the conversion area. Weed barrier must be biodegradable (not plastic). Artificial turf, plastic barrier, lawn, or rubber mulch will not qualify for a rebate in the Program.
- Existing Project Area- all landscape within one contiguous measured area must be converted, no patches may be left unconverted as turf or may be converted to unqualified materials as mentioned above. Project sites that do not have overall 50% vegetation coverage, or containing patches of unqualifying materials, turf, or concrete will not be approved.
- Irrigation System- the converted area must be low-volume drip, micro spray, bubbler, or hand watering. Overhead spray is not allowed. The system must be in good working order, free of leaks and malfunctions. The irrigation system must not create run-off, overspray, or misting.
- Steps to participate:
- Download an application here.
- Submit the completed application to SCWA via mail, email, or fax. Applications will be processed as they are received until all funds are reserved.
- In addition to the application, please submit at least five (5) ‘before’ photos of your yard showing the area where lawn will be removed. Note: All photos should be taken with enough distance to show that they are of your yard. For example, photos should include an identifiable feature such as a tree, mailbox, or part of the house. Photos should be taken from several angles to show the entire lawn(s) including edges and corners of each lawn area that is being converted. Please be sure to take enough photos to show all parts of your lawn(s).
- Upon receipt of the application, SCWA staff will call or email applicant to schedule next steps.
- Remove the lawn area and install your project according to the program Landscaping Requirements listed in the Terms and Conditions within 120 days.
- Call SCWA at 707.455.1113 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a post-inspection visit when the project is complete.
- SCWA will need a completed W-9 form from every resident that completes the project with a rebate over $600.00. Please fax, email, or have one ready at the post-inspection. Click here to download a W-9 form.
- Post inspections must be scheduled within 120 days of the Notice to Proceed.
See Frequently Asked Questions for general questions.
Solano County Water Agency Mailing Address: 810 Vaca Valley Pkwy, Ste. 203, Vacaville, CA 95688
Office: 707.455.1113 Fax: 707.451.6099 Email: email@example.com